badform to flowform 4

So now for the holes.

Since the plan of the Didak Flow Form 4 kite is almost identical to the Harald Prinzler design used by HQ  I took the hole positions from the HQ flowform 2.0 and scaled them up to the 4m size. The wing profile is a ‘fast’ one unlike Steve Sutton’s deep chord so I decided not to increase the hole sizes too much in the hope that a conservative airflow might retain as much lift as possible. Scaling up the hole centres cell by cell and testing them as I cut them I took the diameters from a lens cap, a wine glass, a whiskey glass and a beer glass…this is thirsty work!

The next set of holes didn’t work so well- the wind speed picked up (12-15mph) and inversions were sudden and irreversible, in lulls of 6-9mph it did well but the ‘wind absorption’ effect of the flowform wasn’t happening in gusts above 10mph.

More holes later and I discover upper wind speed for stable flight has increased and that the AoA is adversely affected by the new flow dynamic, the kite will ‘top’ quite easily if I up the airflow (by pulling like blazes on the line passed through a picket). As the kite is pushed up it passes the apex of the wind window and topples over and inverts. Watching the movement of the kite I see it now ‘pulses’ with the airflow: a good sign that the flowform effect is working. Next up: the final holes and retuning the bridle for a slightly sharper AoA!

About billboyheritagesurvey

Heritage worker
Gallery | This entry was posted in KAP, Kites and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.